Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Workdesk Wednesday 196

Another week has come and gone and it's Wednesday again.  Julia keeps us grounded and I believe heading in a forward direction.  I just checked in on the WOYWW and there are already over 100 brave folk posting their desk...it's only 9:00 AM here in the Pacific Northwest.  Check out Stamping Ground and see who's there that you might already follow, or who will inspire you to join in.  So, here's what my desk(s) look like.  Not too impressive, but a bit is going on.  Here's my sit-down work space...

My buddy Cathy and I played a bit with napkins.  We wanted to see if adhering napkins with decoupage glue would be better than ironing one layer of napkin to freezer paper.  We pick freezer paper.  We had a problem removing wrinkles from the paper that the glue was directly applied to.  We then used the glue to adhere the freezer paper to the card stock.  After thinking this through we realized that was certainly not necessary.  A Xyron machine would have done the same thing with no drying time....Senior moment in action!  Dah! 
Here is my standing desk.  Doesn't look too impressive, but I want you to know....I just finished 20 card kits....of course no photos of that because....I forgot.  Is that another senior moment? 

Those who have followed me in the past know that I've been working on a shadow box that my sweet husband made for me.  I'm in Sloth mode on this project as it is taking me forever and on occasion my honey walks past it and muses about my attention to detail, which is the excuse I'm using for why it is taking so long....I'm trying to fill the little 4x4 space, but not have it look too busy, or too empty.  I haven't glued down the July slot as I'm still thinking that space needs more, but I don't have exactly what I want to add....a little beach ball.  But I am still looking....
So here it is.  any ideas for things to add to July?  And here's the entire shadow box.  The paper is all from Graphic 45.  I love this collection. 
So, this is what I've got.  Not quite half way to the finish line.  But I'm getting there....

Before I go I want to share a family photo.  This is my cousin Pete and me.  I haven't seen him in 50 years or more.  He came to California on a business trip and through another cousin that I just reconnected with found me.  Long story short, I was raised by  a fantastic foster family, and lost contact with my birth family.  It's nice to reconnect with my birth family and I'm lucky to have two fantastic families.   Actually, I have 3 fantastic families.  I've lived in California for most of my adult life, which puts me thousands of miles away from most of my family....my extended family is a very important part of my today life.  I am truly blessed!  I'm sure so many of you also have extended families because of how we have all managed to move from our birth homes to where we are today  My cousin Pete said it so well, as we get older we want to know about our birth families and having and knowing cousins becomes much more important than when we were children.  So here's Pete...
 I do wish I had known him when we were kids.  Especially since we went to school together and knew many of the same kids.....life is strange sometimes.  I also learned that his mom lives on the same street as my life long friend lived.  I can't tell you how many times I visited Lynette and never knew I had an aunt living only a few houses away. 

And to my internet family of followers.....thank you so much for taking the time to have a cuppa with me at least once a week....

Off I go for now....Hugs to all, and happy crafting.....
Mary AKA:  Glitter Grammy

13 comments:

  1. have you tried sticking your napkin on with IndigoBlu slap it on mate glue?Have a great WOYWW thank you for sharing your workspace today
    Ria #39
    Love your shadow box what a lovely thing for your DH to make for you I think you are right not to rush it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Mary thanks for sharing this with us :) huggles hun Sue J xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your shadow box is lovely. How nice to see a lovely family pic too. Kim #155

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your shadow box is lovely! Your story touched my heart, and I'm so glad you were able to reconnect with your cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great looking desk and shadow box! Love that you are making contact with your birth family again! I recently met up with a brother that I think I have only seen once or twice in my life. I have sisters I have never seen...I try but they are skeptical of me! I enjoyed getting a peak at your projects and looking around your desk! Have a great week. Vickie #11

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful that you have been reunited :)
    Hope you will be able to learn more about your Roots as time passes.
    I Love shadow boxes and yours is Fabulous - Really Inspiring crafting.
    Happy WOYWW Heather #59

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary . . . Belated Happy WOYWW to you. Your shadow box is coming along nicely.

    Lovely to hear that you've caught up with some of your birth family too.

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to hear that you have got in touch with family. I know the feeling of discovering family and then meeting them. It is a wonderful fuzzy feeling!
    Loving that shadow box. It is gorgeous. You should not rush it or you will never be quite happy with it. That is my excuse for slow projects and I think it actually works!
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely for you to reconnect with your blood family. :-)
    That shadow box is great, well worth taking your time with.
    As a suggestion, would a wee glass marble make a beach ball? Not sure if that's what they are called in the US, they are small glass balls that are coloured or marbled hence marbles.
    I'm late visiting for WOYWW as was offline yesterday,
    Have a good week
    Alison
    #34

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the beautiful spaces already developed in your shadow box, lovely to have one for each month of the year.
    How lovely to be reunited with family especially when you live so far away from the.
    Thanks for sharing your creative space.
    Hope you had a happy WOYWW
    hugs {brenda} x0x #90

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on winning the stamp. It is all ready for you. hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If some one wishes to be updated with newest technologies afterward he must be pay a quick visit this web page and
    be up to date daily.

    My web site :: "dismantle"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending time visiting my blog. And thank you even more for your comments. I LOVE reading each and every one of them. Happy creating!