Thursday, September 15, 2011

It's Cookie Day - Dog Cookie That Is....

For a few years now, I've been making dog "cookies" for our dogs and neighborhood dogs. Wednesday, as my husband taught an oil painting class, I was busy making yummy treats (and yes I know they are yummy, I've tried them). My husband is the most popular neighbor amongst our 4 legged neighbors. He keeps a cookie jar in the garage and the dogs look forward to their walk, and their treats.


I made a double batch. With the weather cooling down, more people will be walking with their buddies. This isn't my usual paper craft....I do enjoy making them...so I will share.

If anyone wants the recipe....here it is....


Dog Biscuits

1/2 cup Water
1/2 cup Canola Oil
2 Eggs
3 TBL Crunchy Peanut Butter
3 tsp Vanilla
1 and 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup White Flour
1/2 cup Corn Meal
1 cup Rolled Oats

Combine, Water, oil, the eggs, peanut butter and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix well.

Roll out the dough to a 1/2 inch thickness. Cut to the size you want. I have small dogs, so my cookies are cut small.

Bake on a non-stick cookie sheet or on parchment paper for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

Turn off the oven and let the cookies cool and dry in the oven for several hours or over-night.

Store in an air-tight container. We've yet to find a dog that doesn't like these homemade treats.

I'm off to post this on What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday....check out the other talented folks.

Off I go for now....it's time to get to get ready for Weight Watchers. Have a great week and I'll see you all soon!

Hugs...Mary AKA: Glitter Grammy






4 comments:

  1. I'm not surprised the neighbourhood dogs like these biscuits Mary. They look very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Mary, how caring - and they sound delicious from the recipe. Now I just gotta find me a dog :) Happy WOYWW! Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound yummy ...if you removed them from the oven when cooked would they not be perfect human snacks???
    I need a recipe for Cat treats ...has he any ideas for those lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies for the wonderful comments. I've made these cookies and shared them with a friend who has parrots. The birds liked them too. I don't know about cat treats. I had a cat that loved bread and human oatmeal cookies. She may have enjoyed these cookies. I may just have to "google" homemade cat treats... if I find one, I'll try it on my stray kitties and see if they go for them... Please if you find one, let me know. As for taking them out of the oven before the drying time....that's a possibility, however there is no sugar in them so they are a bit bland, but tasty...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending time visiting my blog. And thank you even more for your comments. I LOVE reading each and every one of them. Happy creating!